Monday 1 July 2013

Butterflies, bugs & frogs


We were exhausted yesterday and it rained, and when I say rain I mean a complete wall of water, for the entire evening so we stayed in. I am very happy about our trip to Mountain Equipment Coop before we left. We purchased some light pants and neoprene shoes that will dry quickly. These will be a blessing in this climate. We tried to watch a movie online but Internet just isn’t strong enough. Fine for e-mail and web surfing but that’s about it. I am hoping this is just because we are at a B&B and we will be able to improve on this once we are in our own place.

Breakfast came early as we were early to bed but it was fantastic. After breakfast we went exploring. Before we arrived I gave some consideration to getting a car while we are in Costa Rica. Eventually I settled for purchasing bikes. After all there is a good bus system to get to other towns, lots of taxis and the town we are in is small enough to manage by bike. Most people would have given some thought to the fact that Monteverde translated means Green Mountain. They aren’t kidding. Walking this mountain is workout enough, I can’t even imagine trying to attempt to get around on a bike!

The town is a good size we managed to tire ourselves out getting groceries then found an adventure centre where we toured a butterfly sanctuary, a bug sanctuary and a frog sanctuary. Herbert, our guide, was very informative and invited me back to practice my Spanish. He said he was considering purchasing a skateboard so he had many questions for Douglas who has not let go of his since we arrived. Herbert’s wife is 2 months pregnant; it is funny to think that she will be almost due by the time we leave Costa Rica. We will be very well educated on the local habitat by the time we get home. We tried to walk to the school but I’m sure it must be right on top of the mountain…. We got tired and turned back.




No comments:

Post a Comment