Thursday 25 July 2013

Rafting


Well today was a day of mixed emotions. We woke up before the sun, which is very early in Costa Rica. We had to be ready for the bus to pick us up at 5:30AM. We were out front waiting by 5:20AM by 5:50 we gave up and dragged our luggage and ourselves back up to our room on the third floor. Of course at 5:55AM the bus finally showed up. Back down the stairs we went with our luggage (we are actually only travelling with one very small suitcase, a skateboard, a beach mat, a plastic bag full of wet clothes, a backpack and Doug’s man bag) and onto the bus. About a half hour into the drive I realized that we did not have Doug’s bag… the one with my camera. SHIT!

The guys from Exploradores Outdoors were nice enough to arrange for someone to pick it up tomorrow and deliver it to me at our new location. At this point all I can do is trust and have a bit of faith that it will make it here all intact.

Once I took a few deep breaths and reminded myself that this is now out of my control so worrying about it will serve no purpose, Doug and I had the best time ever rafting down the Pacuare River! The conditions were much better than the last time I was here and the guide said that in December the water is the highest so it is even better. We will try and come back at the beginning of December to try again.
 



We are now in Puerto Viejo staying at the Lizzard King Hotel and Resort LOL and apparently staying for three nights because I messed up my dates when I booked us on-line. That’s what I get for doing something when I am half asleep. This place is nice and it is warm here so I am not heart broken to be staying a bit longer than planned. It doesn’t seem near as hot as it was on the Pacific coast but I will know better tomorrow.




We are struggling to get Doug’s homework done. This is his last week and it seems like there is more work this week than there has been or maybe it is because we are onto an area I am less comfortable with. Doug seems better at Volume, Area & Surface calculations than I am thankfully! Did you know that given a fixed perimeter, the area inside that perimeter will be different depending on the shape and dimensions! A square maximizes your area – who knew. This baffles me. How is this possible and why did I not know this?

3 comments:

  1. Actually a circle maximizes your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the number of mistakes I have found in the content of this math course I am surprised that our kids graduate. Actually those that manage to decipher all of the errors probably become very successful but our system has seriously failed the others! There has been at least one serious mistake in the content and/or answer of every single Activity in the course. That is a minimum of one error every two pages and I would guess there are less than 500 words per page. I was keeping track at first but they became too numerous to log!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete