Wednesday 7 August 2013

Scuba Diving


It was an early morning this morning. I was able to arrange to go scuba diving with Oceans Unlimited Scuba Diving (http://www.scubadivingcostarica.com).

Getting around in Manuel Antonio & Quepos has been so easy. There is a public bus running between the two locations every half hour or more and it costs about $0.50 or you can apparently share a cab with anyone going by… they call this ‘collectivo’. The cab driver will flash his lights and anyone needing a ride can hop in and then you each pay less than full fare. Sidewalks here are virtually non-existent so walking is not much of an option. It is very dangerous in parts. And unlike Puerto Viejo, there are absolutely no bike rentals here. Very odd how different these two places in the same country are.

I am glad I didn’t push to hard for Douglas to join me scuba diving because the visibility was very poor. Among the many other ocean fish we did see several Octopi, Lobster and a big White Tip Reef Shark hiding in a cave. That was pretty cool.


Doug and I decided to leave Manuel Antonio and head to Dominical. A friend of mine told me about it many years ago and this is the first time I have been this close to it so we decided to take advantage. It turned the day into a travel day, which is always a drag, but I am very happy we did. We arrived at about 4:30PM and managed to find a very nice hotel (Dominicolos Hotel) for $30/night with very little effort. It is clean, nice
looking and great location. I saw it on-line yesterday and the town is very small so it didn’t take much effort to find it.




Travel tip… so hotels typically advertise their best possible rate. For example, this hotel advertises starting at $30 per night but when we arrived we were told $50 per night. I asked about the advertisement and she said that was for the rooms without air-conditioning & TV. I said that was fine, the TV is all in Spanish and I hate air conditioning. The basic room comes with an oscillating floor fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment