Tuesday 6 August 2013

My turn to surf.


If I had to pick, at this point I would pick the Pacific Coast over the Atlantic/Caribbean Coast. Both locations we have visited on the Pacific coast are beautiful, the weather has been warmer and although it has rained, the rain does not last as long.

Oh I have to add to my list of new foods… Douglas and I stopped for the Costa Rican version of a snow cone on our way out of the park. Doug’s was pretty basic, ice with cherry syrup. They also make them with milk so I thought I would try that out. I ordered a coconut flavored one with milk. They put a layer of ice. A layer of powdered milk, more ice, coconut water and then topped it with condensed milk! It was amazing. I saw some kids had this with flavored syrup as well which not only looks amazing it tastes delicious.

The living fence


As we bus our way around Costa Rica I have seen many of what I have learned is called ‘living fence posts.’ I was jokingly thinking to myself that it must be faster to grow a fence in Costa Rica than to have on built. I did some reading and found that there are many rapid rooting trees such as these so they are frequently planted as live fence stakes. These multi-purpose trees not only provide a durable, decay-resistant place to attach barbed wire, but their branches may also be used as windbreaks, animal food, and firewood. This is one of Costa Rica’s sustainable agriculture projects that the government will help pay for. http://www.worldwatch.org/living-fences-widen-reach-sustainable-agriculture

Doug and I did a bunch of spending today, this was our first crazy shopping day. We were both in desperate need of new backpacks. Doug’s shoes were falling apart and I bought myself a long sleeved water top for surfing and scuba diving. I have wanted one for a couple of years because when I dive in Mexico I am always freezing by the end of the second dive.

When we made it back to Manuel Antonio I took a surfing lesson. I got up on my first try. Unfortunately I have no proof because Doug was surfing with me. Oh well, I know I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment