Sunday 29 September 2013

Bugs Bugs Bugs




Douglas keeps asking me why I am taking pictures of all of the bugs we see... I don't know. I'm not a fan of bugs but I have to say I am impressed with the size of some of these guys.


Regular spiders are everywhere but once in awhile we see a huge spider like this. I don't think it is a tarantula but they are around.


We have lots of scorpions but they are fast little buggers so hard to get a good picture. This one was in the middle of the floor so we lucked out but it was dark so the picture isn't great.


These are leaf cutter ants. Hundreds will work together forming a line that heads into the distance. They have attacked my garbage, ate my kale, we saw a whole colony at the finca.

This entire hill is the ant colony

 The green leaf pieces are being carried by ants back to the colony.


The other ants we get are called army ants. I have literally seen an area about 2 meters square covered in ants. It looks like the ground is moving. Everyone loves the army ants because they will come into your house and within two hours it will be free of all bugs and the ants will move on. You just need to clear out and let them do their thing.

To the right is a picture of the damage a termite can do overnight. A good portion of my house is made of wood and although I have not seen any termites I have seen the incredible amount of damage they have done.



These are some kind of shrimp bug. They can get through the smallest crack in a door frame or window. They don't do anything but will get into the room and be dead on the floor in the morning.

I am not sure if this is considered a bug or a bird but hovering over this purple flower is the worlds smallest hummingbird or maybe it is a moth that flies and looks like a hummingbird... I don't know.



This bug/wormy thing apparently produces some kind of poison? I really wish my memory was better...

Sorry to obsess over the ants but seriously look at what they can do!


These are the pieces of bag they were taking away.


No comments:

Post a Comment